New pre-commercial procurement project eCare for frailty management in old adults
eCare aims to deliver digital solutions for the management of frailty to encourage elderly people to live independently
eCare is a European project that aims to deliver disruptive digital solutions for the prevention and comprehensive management of frailty. Under the motto “Good habits for a good life”, the project’s goal is to encourage independent living, wellbeing and to relieve health and care services budget pressure.
In order to do so, eCare will launch a Pre-Commercial Procurement call for tender on disruptive digital solutions for frailty prevention in old adults. The project will procure the development, testing and implementation of digital tools/services and communication concepts to facilitate the transition to integrated care models across health and social services.
The target group are the pre-frail/frail old adults with an emphasis on those that feel lonely and/or isolated.
Integrated care to solve the European challenge of an ageing society
Longevity is one of the biggest achievements of modern societies. In fact, Children born after 2011 have a one in three chances of reaching their 100th birthday. By 2020, a quarter of Europeans will be over 60 years of age. Combined with low birth rates, this will bring about significant changes to the structure of European society.
In this regard, population ageing has profound implications for the planning and delivery of health and social care. EU spending on medical care is currently growing faster than GDP. According to the 2015 Ageing Report, the total ageing costs in the euro area are projected to increase by 1.5 percentage points of GDP, from 26.8% in 2013 to 28.3% in 2060.
Despite the life expectancy rise, the quality of life in these latest years may be poorer due to frailty and long-term conditions, with the consequent burden and negative impact on health and care systems.
eCare will be supporting this social challenge pursuing some specific objectives:
– Promote systematic routine screening for pre-frailty stages in at-risk patients and older adults in clinical practice.
– Develop and implement sustainable multimodal interventions for the prevention and comprehensive management of functional and cognitive decline and psychosocial frailty.
– Manage functional decline and frailty through multidimensional targeted intervention.
– Contribute to integrated pathways of care with better informed, prepared and trained workforce.
– Convey the shift to patient-centric intervention strategies to ensure engagement and technology acceptance for the promotion of independent living in frailty prevention and management.
– Contribute to research and methodology on frailty and active and healthy ageing. Contribute to managing demand and increasing the sustainability of health and social.
– Promote cooperation, including cross-sector international collaboration between university research groups, health and social care stakeholders, municipalities, and companies dedicated to ageing issues.
eCare PCP is a project financed by the European Union through the Horizon 2020 Framework Program. The project partners are Jaggaer, the commercial brand of BravoSolution, as coordinator (Spain), Ticbiomed (Spain), Irmandade da Santa Casa da Misericordia da Amadora (Portugal), Azienda Sanitaria Locale Benevento (Italy), Szpital Specjalistyczny im a Falkiewicza we Wroclawiu (Poland), Consorci Sanitari Integral (Spain), and Ayuntamiento de Santander (Spain).
For more information, please visit the project website at www.ecare-pcp.eu and subscribe to our newsletter.
The eCare PCP project received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme under Grant Agreement No856960.